Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2017 & 2018: Multi-Company Data Synchronization
Wormhole is available for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2017 and 2018 and development for Business Central is underway. Wormhole is a master data management and data synchronization tool for Microsoft Dynamics NAV (retroactive to 2009, with free support available for those versions supported by Microsoft).
If you would like to learn more about the product and see a demonstration, just send me an email and we can setup an appointment to review the product and discuss use cases for the functionality.
Microsoft Dynamics NAV Multi-Company (and Database) Synchronization
Sync Groups allow setting up an unlimited number of groups of database/company/table/field combinations so that data synchronization can be setup for different data sets and different business processes.
- Define which databases and companies will be included in the sync group so that some companies can be excluded from the synchronization and multiple NAV databases can be included.
- Define a default sync rule at the group level of either one-way or bi-directional sync and define a template company if changes should only be executed in a template company or between a child company and the template company.
- Define which tables will be included in a Sync group (any combination of NAV tables can be used).
- Define which fields will be synced for chosen tables.
- Set field level options to optimize sync like choosing which fields should be ignored or should not be validated upon sync and configure a sync field sequence so that fields validate correctly upon insert/modify in child companies (e.g. insert Item No. before Unit of Measure so that Unit of Measure can validate the specific Item No. before it is inserted or modified in child companies). Configuration is very intuitive as it is very similar to the look and feel of the Configuration Worksheet in the Rapid Start services tools in NAV.
- Establish table level rules for allowing insert, delete, modify or rename.
- Set field level data filtering so that only records within a filter are synced. (e.g. synchronize retail items from a template company to retail companies but not raw materials that are only relevant to companies that do manufacturing).
- NEW – Record Matrix – allows admin users to see all of the records of a table as rows and all companies as columns so they can decide which records should be inserted into individual companies an an al-a-carte basis. (For example; only add G/L accounts, customers, vendors, items, etc to the companies that require specific records).
Web Services is used and synchronizes data in real-time or in batch using an Inbox/Outbox. Web Services allows multi-database synchronization for companies with more than one NAV database.
Error Log records all Sync errors so that Sync failures are recorded and subsequent configuration can be fine-tuned to correct syncing.
EXAMPLE USE CASES:
- Chart of Account Synchronization. Create a group to synchronize the G/L Account table and related tables like posting groups and posting group setups to keep accounting consistent across a group of companies. Use data filtering at a field level, to exclude certain GL accounts that are local in nature and are only related to certain companies in certain jurisdictions.
- Configuration Table Synchronization. Synchronize setup tables (specific fields), dimensions, posting setups, and other common configuration tables across companies to minimize time spend performing NAV administration and to improve overall data integrity and process consistency. This is especially helpful during an implementation when multiple companies are “going live” on the same time-frame.
- Item Synchronization. Use the synchronization tool to synchronize items across companies. Use data filtering to exclude some items that are only relevant in specific companies (e.g. exclude manufacturing related items).
- Job Synchronization. Use the synchronization tool to synchronize jobs across companies. Use our job module add-on for synchronization to synchronization timesheet (job journal) entries to the company that is ultimately responsible for accounting and invoicing of the job.
- Master Data Synchronization. Synchronize Customers and Vendors across multiple companies (and/or databases). Create a sync group that includes all of the required related tables to customers and vendors and use data filtering to exclude certain fields from the synchronization process to allow local control over some fields.
There are a limitless number of use cases for this product. This is a critical add-on for any NAV user with multiple companies (and/or databases).
EmergeNext ADNM (an ADNM International group company)
Phone: +1 (312) 380-0570
500 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611
EmergeNext ADNM, LLC
Chicago | Milwaukee | Montreal | New York | Paris