Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016: Multi-Company Data Synchronization
Product to be renamed “Wormhole” for NAV
Our ISV product for data synchronization in Microsoft Dynamics NAV will be renamed “Wormhole”.
Here is a copy of our email campaign that was sent to NAV partners today…………
The greatest weakness of Microsoft Dynamics NAV is its lack of multi-company data management and configuration. Without this weakness, Microsoft Dynamics NAV is a top-tier ERP system capable of competing at the enterprise level with SAP, Oracle, AX, etc. Our ISV company, Verosoft, has solved this weakness with a product called “Wormhole for NAV” that manages data across NAV companies and databases in an extremely efficient and flexible way. This product greatly reduces NAV administration costs and greatly increases data integrity for NAV users with multiple companies and/or databases.
Microsoft Dynamics NAV Partners often develop ad-hoc synchronization solutions for their NAV users that are typically hard-coded around a certain group of tables or customized to a certain set of functionality. These solutions are not flexible in that they are not easily expanded and they often ignore sub-tables that are critical to the integrity of the master data that needs to be synchronized.
Our add-on product is much more powerful; it solves synchronization by allowing configuration of synchronization around any group of NAV tables and it allows detailed rules and properties to be set at a field level including data filtering. It also allows multiple sets of synchronization configurations that may or may not include all companies. It works across multiple NAV databases and it can be used to synchronize with Dynamics CRM. We would never do an implementation without using our add-on because it saves so much time during configuration when multiple companies have to be configured.
If you would like to learn more about the product and see a demonstration, just send me an email and we can setup an appointment to review the product and discuss use cases for the functionality.
Microsoft Dynamics NAV Multi-Company (and Database) Synchronization
Sync Groups allow setting up an unlimited number of groups of database/company/table/field combinations so that data synchronization can be setup for different data sets and different business processes.
- Define which databases and companies will be included in the sync group so that some companies can be excluded from the synchronization and multiple NAV databases can be included.
- Define a default sync rule at the group level of either one-way or bi-directional sync and define a template company if changes should only be executed in a template company or between a child company and the template company.
- Define which tables will be included in a Sync group (any combination of NAV tables can be used).
- Define which fields will be synced for chosen tables.
- Set field level options to optimize sync like choosing which fields should be ignored or should not be validated upon sync and configure a sync field sequence so that fields validate correctly upon insert/modify in child companies (e.g. insert Item No. before Unit of Measure so that Unit of Measure can validate the specific Item No. before it is inserted or modified in child companies). Configuration is very intuitive as it is very similar to the look and feel of the Configuration Worksheet in the Rapid Start services tools in NAV.
- Establish table level rules for allowing insert, delete, modify or rename.
- Set field level data filtering so that only records within a filter are synced. (e.g. synchronize retail items from a template company to retail companies but not raw materials that are only relevant to companies that do manufacturing).
Web Services is used and synchronizes data in real-time. Web Services allows multi-database synchronization for companies with more than one NAV database.
Error Log records all Sync errors so that Sync failures are recorded and subsequent configuration can be fine-tuned to correct syncing.
Optional Job Sync adds job specific enhancements for job journals to be automatically posted across multiple companies so that virtual companies can be used to centralize resources and job postings (like timesheets) but then synchronize with the legal entity that is commercially engaged on the job.
Optional Microsoft Dynamics CRM connector allows the feature to be used with Microsoft Dynamics CRM and allows greater configuration flexibility than the standard Microsoft issued CRM connector.
EXAMPLE USE CASES:
- Chart of Account Synchronization. Create a group to synchronize the G/L Account table and related tables like posting groups and posting group setups to keep accounting consistent across a group of companies. Use data filtering at a field level, to exclude certain GL accounts that are local in nature and are only related to certain companies in certain jurisdictions.
- Configuration Table Synchronization. Synchronize setup tables (specific fields), dimensions, posting setups, and other common configuration tables across companies to minimize time spend performing NAV administration and to improve overall data integrity and process consistency. This is especially helpful during an implementation when multiple companies are “going live” on the same time-frame.
- Item Synchronization. Use the synchronization tool to synchronize items across companies. Use data filtering to exclude some items that are only relevant in specific companies (e.g. exclude manufacturing related items).
- Job Synchronization. Use the synchronization tool to synchronize jobs across companies. Use our job module add-on for synchronization to synchronization timesheet (job journal) entries to the company that is ultimately responsible for accounting and invoicing of the job.
- Master Data Synchronization. Synchronize Customers and Vendors across multiple companies (and/or databases). Create a sync group that includes all of the required related tables to customers and vendors and use data filtering to exclude certain fields from the synchronization process to allow of local control over some fields.
There are a limitless number of use cases for this product. This is a critical add-on for any NAV user with multiple companies (and/or databases).
EmergeNext ADNM (an ADNM International group company)
Phone: +1 (312) 380-0570
500 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611
EmergeNext ADNM, LLC
Chicago | Milwaukee | Montreal | New York | Paris